Manager of social work group.
A. Mission, Core Values, and Service Excellence
1. Contributes to the creation of a compassionate and caring environment for patients, families, and colleagues through displays of kindness and active listening. Recognizes and appreciates that each employee's work is valuable and contributes to the success of the Mission.
2. Demonstrates excellence in daily work. Willing to actively participate in performance and quality improvement activities and to work towards enhancing customer/patient satisfaction.
3. Exhibits positive service excellence skills to patients, visitors, and coworkers by greeting others in a friendly manner, keeping customers/patients/colleagues informed about progress, delays, and changes.
4. Demonstrates effective teamwork by interacting in a positive manner withncolleagues and creating a collaborative work environment. Initiates open communication, conveys positive intent, and offers assistance.
5. Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, and colleagues by following established procedures and protocols.
6. Demonstrates stewardship by thoughtful and responsible use of resources, including maintaining a clean and hospitable environment; starting work on time; and displaying a consciousness regarding costs, supplies, and department finances.
7. Demonstrates respect for individual differences of each person by acknowledging the essence of each person, appreciating, and responding to unique, spiritual, personal, and cultural backgrounds of patients, families, and colleagues.
B. Strategic and Operational Planning
1. Supports the Director in planning, coordinating, and supervising the work of all Social Work personnel and other related work as required.
2. In collaboration with the Director, Care Management, establishes departmental goals and develops plans to achieve those goals.
C. Planning and Program Management
1. Super user of Epic, naviHealth, and Qventus. Provides or procures training in both.
2. Facilitates response for all patient complaints related to patient status, discharge planning, and/or continuum of care access to meet DOH regulatory mandate.
3. Develops and implements policy/procedure protocols related to high-risk patient care populations prone to ED visits, inpatient readmission, and extended LOS.
4. Maintains all policies, procedures, and systems in compliance with JCAHO Standards.
D. Operational Management
1. Assists in the scheduling, teaching, and identification of needs requiring in-service educational programs.
2. Provides management direction to the Social Workers in the Care Management department.
3. Provides support to CM and SW staff in managing highly complex patient issues.
4. Reviews operations of the Social Work staff to ensure high level of quality is consistent with organization standards.
5. Works closely with medical staff leadership, clinical department chairs and committee chairs to ensure appropriate medical staff in involvement in institutional resource management efforts.
E. Financial Management
1. Identifies appropriate staffing levels, assignments, and deployments for the department.
2. Monitors performance criteria for staff members.
3. Provides a monthly report of patients with length of stay (LOS) greater than 15 days and outlines barriers to discharge and recommendations for removing those barriers.
F. Human Resource Management
1. Identifies appropriate staffing levels, assignments, and deployments for the department. Accountable for the scheduling of personnel.
2. Directly responsible for Social Work personnel actions, including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, vacation schedules, and maintaining payroll records and time reports.
3. Supports preceptors in developing orientation programs for new Social Work staff.
4. Responsible for Social Work staff orientation and continued development.
G. Hospital-wide Leadership
1. Represents Case Management/Social Work at organizational committee meetings, as directed.
2. Serves as liaison with executive leadership, interfacing with continuum of care providers and public agencies, including post-acute facilities, SNF administrators, and DHS.
3. Conducts rounding in assigned areas.
H. Patient Safety
1. Interprets laws, policies, operational procedures, and objectives. Ensures compliance with regulatory and legal requirements.
2. Assists in the development of policies and procedures, standards of care, and practice, as well as in the monitoring processes in relations to those standard.
3. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and expertise in CMS, DOH, DHS, and regulations pertaining to access, delivery, transition, and financing across the continuum of care.
4. Expertise in entitlement eligibility, managed care, guardianship, immigration, and naturalization laws.
5. Ensures efficient and effective service provision within regulatory and professional standards.
I. Strategic Planning
1. Participates in achieving goals assigned to Case Management/Social Work department.
Position Compensation Range: $61,443.20 - $98,300.80 Annually
A master's degree in social work from an accredited institution required.
Experience in the field of clinical social work with experience in care transitions – 5 years of experience.
Highly competent in clinical aspects of the social work role, based on experience and years of work in the field. Extensive contacts and work relationships with external continuum of care providers and agencies assisting with difficult patient transitions.
Ability to create collegial and collaborative relationships internally and externally.
Must have current/valid LCSW licensure form Virginia.
Knowledge of accreditation standards, healthcare regulations, performance improvement, patient safety, and policy formulation.
Ability to analyze data and employ approved management techniques and statistical tools to obtain maximum effectiveness, efficiency, and outcomes.
Effective organizational, oral and written communication, and problem-solving, program development, and computer skills. Strong leadership and team building skills.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings and programs.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.